The old parish church was handsomely decorated for Christmastide. The font was decorated with fresh ivy, ferns holly, and bright berries.
Stationed on the Communion table were six beautiful bouquets of flowers, and the chancel, reading desk, and pulpit were richly adorned in a like manner to the other parts of the sacred edifice.
The pillars and cornices were neatly decorated, being surmounted on either side of the centre aisle by some magnificent shields, which were tastefully arranged with suitable mottoes in the middle of each.
The ringers rang joyous peals on Christmas morning and Boxing Day.
The Horsham Advertiser, 31 December 1881
Contributed by Malcolm Davison.
Visit Cuckfield Museum, follow the link for details https://cuckfieldmuseum.org.