top of page

1904: Belfry secrets


There has been placed in the west tower of Cuckfield Church, the parochial registers of which date from the year 1508, the works of an ancient hand-wrought clock made and erected in the year 1667 by Isaac Leney, probably of Cuckfield.


The clock, after doing its duty at the church for 200 years, stopped one morning while striking the hour of eleven. It was taken down in 1873 and lay in the belfry until placed in its present position by Canon Cooper and the Churchwardens (Mr FM Hampden Turner and Mr A Beeching) as a memento and 'to shew the ancient history of the parish'.


Mid Sussex Times 15 March 1904


Contributed by Malcolm Davison.


Visit Cuckfield Museum, follow the link for details https://cuckfieldmuseum.org.


34 views
bottom of page