We learn more about the formation and membership of the Cuckfield Golf Club from The Victoria History of the County of Sussex:
The Cuckfield Club owed its foundation, in October, 1906, to Captain Sergison, Mr. J Cow, and the Rev. Lewis Evans. The membership consists of 100 gentlemen and 75 ladies.
The eighteen-hole course, one mile from the station of that name, and one mile from Hayward’s Heath, was laid out by Willie Park in 1905, is situated on high ground sloping south, affording grand views of the South Downs and the Weald of Sussex.
The holes are laid out over rough and pasture land, whose subsoil consists of a mixture of sand, sandstone, clay, and loam. 'The hazards include pits, ravines, hedges, and artificial bunkers, and though the best periods for play are the spring, summer, and autumn months the course is generally in excellent playing condition, except during very wet winters'. Bernard Sayers, junior, from North Berwick, is the club professional.
Source: The Victoria History of the County of Sussex Vol 2 pages 480
Contributed by Malcolm Davison.
Thank you to Jonathan Bromley for the photograph of the club in 2020