No less than thirty seven cricket grounds in the area have historically been created for Cuckfield Cricketers! Some are now officially Lindfield or Haywards Heath venues...
If you have any more information about any of them, please contact us!
HAZELDEAN, LONDON LANE
Unknown ground used in 1896-7
First Cuckfield side played here in 1813.
Choir Teams and Local side played here from 1895.
Exact location unknown
Cuckfield Parish sides played here from the earliest date
In the grounds of former school for the deaf. First games played here in 1910
Tavistock & Summerhill School built a ground here in 1989
Used by Whitemans Green 1901-1906
Probable location of Whitemans Green ground early last century
Gen. Cambell's XI played here 1893 - 1914. Later used as 2nd XI ground by Cuckfield C.C.
Artificial wicket on council ground. Now used by newly formed Brook Street team.
School ground 1895-1914
Few games played here in 1894-5
OCKENDEN (SPINNING FIELD)
Cuckfield Club played here from 1851-1890. Last recorded game 1892
Cuckfield C.C. first played here in 1891 but Cuckfield's current Cricket grounds started life in 1895. A second ground (The North Field) was constructed in 1989. The first recorded match in the Park was 1741 and matches were played in the vicinity from that date. It may be that the North Field was the original cricket ground and then known as the ‘Lower Park’. There were at least three grounds in the Park in the late 1800s.
Their current ground.
The original Ansty ground used in 1889
Ansty teams played in 1888
C.H. WAUGH'S GROUND
used by Whiteman's Green after the supposed amalgamation with Cuckfield in 1907
The earliest recorded game here was in 1851.
A boys team played here in 1888
ROSE & CROWN
Meadow at rear hosted several games, the first being in 1893.
Thought to be the oldest ground in the village. Last game played in 1854. Also known as the White Hart Ground.
Cuckfield's secondary school ground.
HICKMANS LANE, Lindfield
Cuckfield used this ground for 3rd XI and colts games before they acquired the North Field in 1989.
Combined Lindfield and Cuckfield teams played here from the earliest date.
Built 1880. Before that they combined with Lindfield. A combined Lindfield/Cuckfield team and some matches between the sides were often played somewhere on the Heath. Cuckfield played Oakendean here in 1805.
Cuckfield played here in 1858
T.H. Woodcock had his own team here in 1891
an Ansty Church team played at the rear of the inn in the 1880s.
Country house ground used in 1890's and possible location of earlier Cuckfield/Lindfield games.
matches in 1888
BROAD STREET GROUND
A ground was constructed here in 1845 but its location is not known.
HILLY FIELD or 6½ ACRE FIELD
a ground at Borde Hill was used by Cuckfield in 1893
Cuckfield played here in 1894
An Ansty Ground of unknown location
There was a Pickwell cricket team in 1938
Known in Cuckfield as ‘The Green’ and the location the encounters with Wineham & Twineham in the early 1800s.
Many thanks to Roger Heavens, Cuckfield Cricket Archivist for compiling this list.