top of page

1881: Fire breaks out in High Street Cottage


Mid Sussex Times - Wednesday 02 February 1881


Fire. —On Monday afternoon a fire broke out in a cottage, occupied by Mr. B. Packham, bricklayer, High-street The wife left some clothes on a chair before the kitchen fire, and during her absence the things caught alight, the chair was destroyed, and the mantel-piece much charred.


Lithograph of Cuckfield High Street 1876

Mr. S. Caffyn, miller, happily observed smoke emanating from the cottage, and effecting an entrance by the front window, stayed the further spread of the conflagration.

46 views
bottom of page